Information and Career Guidance Cell
The Information and Career Guidance Cell (ICGC) of the College was set up in 2003 in response to the need for student support services, particularly in catering to the need for career planning. In the context of today’s highly competitive world, the best job goes to the best informed and the best prepared, and hence the need for ICGC which provides guidance to the students towards career planning. Apart from individual counselling and guidance, ICGC also conducts various programmes such as workshops, seminars, awareness programmes etc. for the benefit of the students. The following are the important programmes organised by the Cell:
1. One day Seminar on ‘Career Planning, Opportunities and Strategies’ on the day of the inauguration of the Cell on 12th June, 2003.
2. A Career Awareness programme on ‘Medical and Para-Medical Fields’ on 23rd October 2003 that was addressed by Dr. S. Kharmalki, Asst. Director of Health Services, Meghalaya and Ms. B. Ryngad, Dy. Director of Health Services, Meghalaya
3. Two motivational cum career awareness programmes in the field of Defence, Tourism and Hospitality Management in 2003.
4. Seminar on ’Elementary Automobile Knowledge and Careers in Automobile Sectors’ in June 2005.
5. Seminar on ‘Opportunities in Accounts’ by the Institute of Computer Accountants on 15th July, 2005.
6. Seminar on ‘What Beyond Graduation’ from the Adept Institute of Management Studies, Dharwad on 8th July, 2005.
7. An Awareness programme on ‘Hospitality Management’ by the Advanced Information & Management Studies, West Bengal on 20th July, 2005.
8. A training programme in ‘Flower Making and Arranging’ for the students from 29th July to 3rd August, 2005.
9. A ‘Career Awareness Programme on Management’ by the ICFAI, Kolkata in 2005.
10. A talk on ‘Global Opportunities’ by Ralph Budelman, Managing Director, Stylus Systems, Bangalore on 7th November, 2005.
The Information and Career Guidance Cell, Shillong College has completed six years of its existence in serving the career needs of the students. Since its inception, the ICGC has been conducting various programmes every year for the Degree and Higher Secondary students. Besides, individual and group counseling is also arranged on request. During the current academic session 2009 – 2010, the ICGC have organized various programme for the Degree and Higher Secondary students of the College.
- A Programme on ‘Career Planning’ for the students of Class XII Science was organized on the 24th May 2009 and for the Arts and Commerce students on the 28th of May 2009. The resource person for the above two programmes was Fr. P. D. Johny, former Principal of St. Anthony’s Higher Secondary School.
A programme on “Moral Education” for the Class XI students of the college was organized on the 18th July 2009. Rev. (Dr.) L. Pohsngap, International Director of Global LEAD Alliance, USA was the resource person. The Programme was divided into two Sessions – the Morning Session for the Arts students and the Afternoon Session for the Science and Commerce students. This was the first programme to be conducted in the college and the basic purpose was to teach these very young students on the importance of moral values and the need to develop a good character which will help them play an effective role in the society and at the same time help them realized their potential and to put in their best in their pursuit for academic excellence.
- A special Lecture on ‘Career Options after Class XII’ was conducted on the 17th May 2009 for the Science students. The lecture was delivered by Mr. B. Syiem, Teacher-in-Charge of ICGC.
A Programme on ‘Career Options after Graduation’ for the Final Year Degree Students will be organized soon for the Arts, Science and Commerce students. The basic aim of the programme is aimed at to provide information to the students on the career options that are available today after graduation and also to guide them in choosing the course of study relevant to their aptitude and interest.
Shri B. Syiem, Head, Department of Economics is the In-charge of the ICGC, while he is ably assisted by Dr.(Ms.) D. L. Buam, Dr.(Ms.) N. West, Dr. Ruby Dkhar and other lecturers of the College