history

history

All Departments

History department of the College has the distinction that two of the lecturers of the department adorned the post of Principal of the College, including the present Principal. The Department started in 1956 when some stalwart figures of the town such as (Late), Shri Radhan Singh Lyngdoh (formerly Speaker, Meghalaya Legislatively Assembly), Shri D. H. Goswami, Shri (Late) Kapila Chatterjee, Shri Shyamadas Bhattacharjee and many others served the department as part time teachers in the early days and even later when exigencies arose. Shri (Late) Suddhabrata Bhattacharjee was the first full time teachers in the department who later in 1970 became the Principal of the College and served till his retirement in 1973. Smt. Chitra Choudhury, who was a keen cultural activist, joined in July 1967 to be followed by Shri D. Mukhopadhyay. Shri Mukhopadhyay later left the job to join an assignment in Kolkata. Meanwhile, Dr.(Mrs.) M. P. R. Lyngdoh joined in the year 1973 and she took over as head of the department after the premature death of Smt. Choudhury on 08-02-1982. In 1996, Smt. Lyngdoh took over as the Principal and Shri Rudyson Rynjah became the head of the department. The department has always contributed significantly in the growth of the College and the students of the department have performed creditably over the years.

Attention: The internal data of table “15” is corrupted!
Sample Description