To bring an attitudinal change in our students, to boost their confidence, to expose our students to the happenings around them, to heighten their sense of belonging, the Botany Department, Shillong College felt the need to form a platform in the form of the Botanic Club.
The Motto of the Botanic Club is ‘Learn, Share and Grow’.
Article I: Name: The name of the club shall be the ‘BOTANIC CLUB’, Shillong College.
Article II: Objectives: The object of this club shall be to collect and diffuse information on all topics relating to botany and to promote an interest among the students and teachers, in this science. Besides that, it proposes to cover topics which would be of great help in personality improvement.
Article III: Members: All members must be active members of the society. Membership from the students shall be encouraged. Elected officers of the club shall consist of an adviser (Ex-Head of the Deptt), President (Head of the Deptt), a Vice President (A senior teacher),aCorresponding Secretary (Teacher), Joint Secretaries(students), Recording Secretary (Teacher), Joint Recording Secretary (student), Treasurer (teacher) and a Field Assistant (Lab Assistant). These Officers shall be elected biennially, shall hold their offices for two years or until others are installed in their places. The Treasurer, Corresponding Secretaries, and recording secretaries are each elected for a two-year term and maybe elected to serve up to four years. Vacancies occurring in any of the offices of the Club shall be filled unanimous decision of the Members. The person so elected shall serve until the due term, or until a successor is chosen.
Article IV: President: The President shall preside at all meetings of the Club, and shall appoint all committees not otherwise provided for.
Article V: Vice President: In absence or disability of the President, his or her duties shall be performed by the Vice President, and in the absence of the latter, another office bearer shall serve, the order of precedence being that indicated in article III.
Article VI: Treasurer: The Treasurer shall collect and have charge of all funds and securities of the Club. Such funds shall be used to pay the ordinary current expenses of the club and such other sums as may from time to time be ordered. The treasurer shall render a report of the finances at the Annual Meeting, or oftener if requested, and at any other time desired. The Treasurer has charge of the Club Seal. The Treasurer shall collect all funds derived from subscriptions, advertising, and sales of the Magazines, Journals and Memoirs.
Article VII: Secretaries: The Corresponding Secretaries shall have charge of the Charter, Constitution, and By-laws of the club, shall give due notice of all meetings, conduct the correspondence of the Club, and prepare all letters to be written in its name, retaining copies of them. These secretaries shall serve as Chairperson of the Programme committee and perform such other duties of a similar nature as may be assigned by the club from time to time. The Corresponding Secretaries shall provide updated copies of the Constitution and By-Laws of the club to all members upon request. The Recording secretaries shall keep full and accurate records of proceedings of the club, receive the membership list from the Treasurer, notify each member of the Club, and perform such other duties of a similar nature as may be assigned by the club from time to time. The Corresponding Secretaries shall forward meeting minutes to the Corresponding secretaries who will include them wit the announcements of the next Club Meeting.
Article VIII: Journal/ Magazine & its Editor: The Editor shall have final editorial authority over all publications of the Club and appoint associate editors subject to the approval of the club.
Article IX: Manager of Publications The editor of Publications shall be responsible for back issues of the journals, memoirs, and other publications. The Editor shall also collect all funds for these publications and turn them over to the Treasurer.
Article X: Name of the Souvenir: Botane.
Article XI: Quorum: Six members of the Club shall constitute a quorum.
Article XII: Members: The membership of the Club shall consist of active members of students (Honurs and pass), teachers (from deptt. of Botany and other Deptts) and others.
Article XIII: Dues: The dues of all Classes of membership shall be fixed by the Club.
- Time and Mode of SelectionThe President in October, shall select a slate of candidates to consist of Officers or Bearers subject to the approval of the Club. This slate will be presented to the club at a regular meeting in November, where any active member of the Club may be selected. All selections shall be consulted by the Club as to their availability foroffice. All Officers shall enter upon the duties of their respected offices immediately after the close of the annual meeting.
- MeetingsUnless otherwise determined by the President, the regular meetings shall be held on the first Tuesday or alternate date if deemed necessary by the programme Committee throughout the year. Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the President.3. Order of Business The following shall be the order of Regular business at all meetings of the Club except at the Annual meetings: Reading of the minutes of the last meeting
- Election of new members and announcement of resignations, if any.
- Reports of Committees, if any
- Deferred business
- New business
- Scientific programme.
- Reading of the minutes of the last meeting.
- Election of new members and announcement of resignations, if any.
- Reports of Officers, Delegates and representatives.
- Reports of standing committee.
- Announcement of projected Activities.
- Deferred business.
- New Business8. Presidential address.
- Standing committeeThe Standing committee shall be as follows:
- Programme committee 2. Field Committee 3. Flora and Vegetation committee 4. Wall Display Committee.
- Field committeeThe Field Committee shall select the dates, places and other details of the field trips and publish notices of the same.
- Flora and Vegetation committeeThe Flora and Vegetation committee shall report on significant changes in the flora and vegetation which occur within the vicinity of Shillong College, and Shillong as such, and which may be of general interest to the Club.
- DonationA record shall be kept by the Treasurer of the source, nature and description of each Donation.Name and Style of the Club : Botanic Club Year of Foundation : 2003 Motto of the Club : Learn, Share and Grow
The present Office Bearers of the Club:
|Adviser||Mr. S.K. Roy|
|President||Mrs. D. Kharshandi|
|Secretary||Mrs. M. V. T. Marwein|
|Assistant Secretary||Mrs. D. Lyngdoh|
|Treasurer||Dr. (Mrs). A. Lyngdoh|
|Field Assistant||Mr. Banteilang Syiemlieh|
|Student Representatives||2 students from each Semester|
The “Techies Club”, which is a Departmental students’ club (Computer Science and Applications) , was formed in 2006. The main objective of this club is to allow students to expand their activities beyond the normal classroom interactions and sessions. The following shows the organizational profile of the club:• Advisor (Teacher) • Treasurer (Teacher)
The club collects a maintenance fee of Rs. 10 per month from the members. The amount is utilized for various activities the club conducts. Activities include holding social gatherings such as the Freshers’ meet, the Farewell meet etc., academic activities such as holding seminars, paper presentations, holding programming competitions, conducting Orientation courses on basic computer applications etc. all for the benefit of fellow students of the department and of the college in general.The following enumerates the contribution of the Club: • The Club Conducts Computer Awareness Courses for the students who do nothave computer as one of their subjects. • Conducting Computer Awareness Camps to the under previleged students of Rural Meghalaya. • Maintaining the Bulletin Board with up to date articles • Active Participation in Inter College Competitions like debates,sports etc.
The contribution of zoology in the day-to-day life of humans and other living beings on this earth is overwhelming. Zoology paved the ways and means for the development of modern medical science concerning human and animal body. Other branches of science like chemistry, physics, botany, mathematics and others of course surround the science of Zoology. The present system of learning is however inclined towards applied aspects of Zoology which is important; nevertheless the fundamental knowledge is even more important to device application. Keeping this view in mind the students of the Zoology Dept. Shillong College, proposes to form a club to generate interest among them to take up and study Zoology at the fundamental level and make them aware of the current development in this science. Such exposure will make us not only to educate ourselves but create academic and intellectual environment at home and at the place where we work/study everyday. AIMS & OBJECTIVES To educate ourselves on the fundamental Zoology and update our knowledge through various activities like 1. By organizing seminars. 2. By organizing popular talks. 3. Group discussions. 4. Exhibition. 5. Tracking recent developments through newspaper, magazines, journals and the Internet. 6. Organizing fieldtrips/ study tour to the places of interest.